Motherhood is often thought to be a magical experience. For 1 in 7 new mothers who suffer Postpartum Depression, this may not always be the case. Maternal mental illness can be very lonely and isolating.
Unfortunately, Kenya’s shortage of mental health specialists means that many mothers do not get the treatment that they need. There are just about 62 psychiatrists serving a population of 49.7 million people. These glaring gaps in the mental health sector paint a grim picture.
Gaps that exist in Kenya’s maternal mental health field
Some of the gaps that exist in Kenya’s maternal mental health include:
- Low awareness of maternal mental health in the society
- Stigma surrounding (maternal) mental disorders
- Discrimination against mothers who have a mental illness, making it hard for them to reach out for help.
The ‘Elimisha Mama’ Program
‘Elimisha Mama’, Swahili for ‘Educate a Mother’ is PPDKenya’s flagship project that seeks to address these gaps. The program seeks to incorporate maternal mental health into routine antenatal and postpartum clinics. The aim of the program is to create awareness on maternal mental health as well as provide psychosocial support for moms with a mental illness.
The program takes a two-pronged approach:
- offering psychoeducative talks during Antenatal and Postpartum Clinics
- pregnant women and new mothers who screen positive for a maternal mental illness get psychological help. Peer supporters from PPDKenya will also offer psychosocial support onsite. Severe cases will be escalated to the hospital’s psychiatric department.
PPDKenya partnership with Akshar Healthcare Facility, Kikuyu
The Elimisha Mama program rolled out on April 3rd 2019. This was made possible following the partnership between PPDKenya and Akshar Healthcare Facility. Akshar Healthcare, formerly known as Kikuyu Nursing Home, was established in 2012. The health facility takes great pride in providing professional and compassionate care for its patients.
Akshar offers the following services:
- out-patient and inpatient services
- dental care
- psychiatric care
- maternity services.
The availability of maternity and psychiatric services at Akshar provides a solid foundation for Elimisha Mama.
Antenatal Clinics at the health facility run every Wednesday. Volunteers who would like to join us for Elimisha Mama can email email@example.com